'Wild dagga' as good as DEET for repelling mosquitos, says Durban Tech team -

edited January 2014 in Site discussion

image'Wild dagga' as good as DEET for repelling mosquitos, says Durban Tech team -

Cannabis-like plant deters biting insects and could prevent spread of malaria.

Read the full story here

Comments

• South Africa already has its own very effective plant based, natural insect repellent called OnGuard (www.onguard.me). I know the guys there would welcome the chance to incorporate other South African sourced plant based active ingredient if indeed they can be proved to be not only effective but long lasting too. The problem with most natural ingredients, and especially the volatiles, is that they are very short lived in terms of effectiveness.
    The experience of the OnGuard product in getting a long lasting repellent may be very useful if ant of the researchers at Durban UoT wished to take it further. It may be possible to engineer a 100% South African product which would be welcomed around the World.
  • Thanks Ed - I'll definitely check out OnGuard. I've seen other plant-based repellents (BugOff?) but didn't realise there was one that was produced locally. I'm a reluctant DEET user - I hate the stuff but haven't yet found a reliable alternative, although we did take a Bug Off burner with us camping over new year that seemed pretty good.